17 January, 2012

Old Crone Or Bright Young Thing? The Gluten Free Shopping Experience

Before I became a celiac I took very little notice of food labeling. If I fancied the product then I bought and ate it. Things are very different now, as I have become an inveterate label reader.

Now I can hear you thinking "What a shopping bore" In fact the opposite is true. Shopping for food is an adventure; my quest is to identify new things I can safely eat on a gluten free diet. It is all a matter of perception. 

How many of you are familiar with the optical illusion of the lady? Many people see an old crone, a lady with a huge chin and a beaky nose. Others see a glamorous young lady dresses in the height of fashion at the turn of the Twentieth Century, with a very fancy hat. For some people they can only see a single option even if they know there are other possibilities. It is not until you trace a particular line then there is that "light bulb" moment when they can finally see the other form.

Back to shopping. If you think about reading product labels as a real bore, taking too much time and as a restriction on your life, that is exactly what it will become. On the other hand you can relish the exercise as a form of competition to find new products, the impact on your temper and frame of mind is likely to be very different.

The quality of food labeling has improved greatly in latter years, we can now be much more conscious of what we are putting inside our bodies. I for one am much more conscious of additives, cheap fillers and chemical ingredients. As a result of label reading I have a much healthier and more varied diet.

Next time you go shopping make a conscious decision whether you want to be the shopping equivalent of the "old crone" or the "bright young thing" 
  • A single click will feed me today CLICK NOW 
  • Software that generate money every second through online surfing and it's FREE Get Yours NOW